Audevard Nexmectin 18.7mg/g Oral Paste for Horses [active ingredient Ivermectin] (POM-VPS)
Nexmectin is a broad spectrum horse wormer capable of treating multiple-species infestations, including roundworms, lungworms and bots. This product should be used in early and late summer alongside a wormer containing praziquantel for year-round parasite control. One gel is sufficient to treat a horse up to 700kg. For more information on when to worm your horse, please read our Confused About Worming? article, written by our in-house SQP.
- Buy 3 for £5.87 each and save 2%
- Buy 6 for £5.75 each and save 4%
- Buy 12 for £5.63 each and save 6%
- Buy 24 for £5.51 each and save 8%
- Buy 36 for £5.39 each and save 10%
- Easy handling: short piston (8cm)
- A single tube provides enough paste for a 700kg horse at the recommended dose rate
- Administrable to foals and pregnant or lactating mares
Do not use in mares producing milk for human consumption.
What does Nexmectin treat?
Nexmectin is used for the treatment of nematode or arthropod infection due to:
- Strongylus vulgaris (adults and stage L4 larvae [arterial])
- Strongylus edentatus (adults and stage L4 larvae [tissue])
- Strongylus equinus (adults)
- Cyathostomum spp. (adults and luminal L4 stage larvae)
- Cylicocyclus spp. (adults and luminal L4 stage larvae)
- Cylicodontophorus spp. (adults and luminal L4 stage larvae)
- Cylicostephanus spp. (adults and luminal L4 stage larvae)
- Gyalocephalus spp. (adults and luminal L4 stage larvae)
- Parascaris equorum (luminal L5 larvae and adults)
- Oxyuris equi (L4 stage larvae and adults)
- Onchocerca spp. (microfilariae)
- Gasterophilus spp. (oral and gastric stages)
When should Nexmectin be used?
Nexmectin should be used in early and late summer, alongside a treatment/test for tapeworm in spring and autumn and a treatment for encysted small redworms over the winter months, to provide a complete year round parasite control programme for all types of horses and ponies, including pregnant and lactating mares, and foals.
|Suitable for use during pregnancy?||Yes|
|Warnings||Special precautions for use in animals Since ivermectin is highly bound to plasma proteins, special care should be taken in cases of sick animals or in nutritional conditions associated with low plasma protein levels. Dogs and cats should not be allowed to ingest spilled gel or have access to used packaging due to the potential for adverse effects related to ivermectin toxicity. The product has been formulated for use in horses only. Cats, dogs (especially Collies, Old English Sheepdogs and related breeds or crosses) and also turtles and tortoises may be adversely affected by the concentration of ivermectin in this product if they are allowed to ingest spilled paste or have access to used syringes. Special precautions to be taken by the person administering the veterinary medicinal product to animals Do not smoke, eat or drink while handling the product. Wash hands after use. This product may cause skin and eye irritation. Therefore, the user should avoid contact of the product with the skin and the eyes. In case of contact, rinse immediately and show the package leaflet or the label to the physician.|
|Show Me Products||Safe for Lactating Mares, Safe for Pregnant Mares|
|Instructions for use||One syringe division of paste per 100 kg body weight (based on a recommended dosage of 200 μg ivermectin per kg body weight).
To ensure administration of a correct dose, body weight should be determined as accurately as possible. The animal's mouth should be free from food to ensure swallowing. Turn the screw gauge on the syringe plunger to the body weight of the horse. The tip of the syringe barrel should be inserted at the interdental space (the gap between the front and back teeth) and the paste deposited on the base of the tongue. Advance the plunger as far as it will go, depositing the medication on the base of the tongue. Immediately elevate the horse's head for a few seconds to ensure swallowing.
|Legal Category||POM-VPS (Prescription-only medicine). Please answer the questions above.|
|Unsure about worming?||If you have any questions about worming your horse please do not hesitate to contact Hannah, our SQP, on 01995 671787 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|Treats up to...||700kg|
|Adverse Reaction||If your horse has had an adverse reaction to this, or any other wormer, please fill in the VMD Adverse Event Form|
|Wormer Information||For the latest, up to date information about Nexmectin, please see the NOAH Compendium|
|Parasites Treated||Ascarids (P.equorum), Large Redworm (Large Strongyles), Pinworm (Oxyuris), Small Redworm (Adult Stage), Stomach Bots, Threadworm|
|Active Ingredient||Ivermectin (18.7mg/g)|